Money will decide who between Filipino great Manny Pacquiao and Briton Kell Brook former unified junior-welterweight champ Amir Khan will fight next.
Khan last weekend fought and claimed a unanimous decision victory from an unexpected classic against Colombian Samuel Vargas in Birmingham.
And soon after The Independent came out with the story, the 31-year-old Khan advised Pacquiao not to price himself out or he will face Brook in what could be dubbed as “Battle of Britain” sometime in December.
“As a fighter, I’m a businessman, too, so I will go with whatever is the best fight financially. Both fights are tough, both fights are the same and they are not going to be easy,” Khan said in his message.
“My message to Pacquiao is not to price himself out. Manny needs to know that I have got other options. I have Kell Brook there as well,” he added.
And speaking of financial consideration, it was revealed on Monday that the Filipino boxing great’s camp announced the filing of a court case against his long-time promoter Bob Arum over alleged unpaid television fees.
Pacquiao’s camp said it is suing Arum and his promotional outfit Top Rank over the alleged failure to remit his share in the broadcast rights for his title fight against Lucas Matthysse in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia last July.
One of his lawyers told The Manila Times on Tuesday that the legal team of the 39-year-old senator is now compiling all documents needed for the court fight, nearly two months after Pacquiao stopped Matthysse in the seventh round to win the World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight crown.
Pacquiao claimed he has yet to receive any share from the broadcast earnings of the fight, which was carried by ESPN Plus and live-streamed in the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico.
Under the contract signed by Top Rank and Pacquiao, who heads MP Promotions, the boxing superstar is entitled to an 85 percent share of the broadcast earnings, while the 15 percent will go to the popular promotional outfit, the boxer’s camp claimed.
Pacquiao’s lawyers had already sent a formal letter to Top Rank, but the promotional outfit has not replied on the matter until now, they claimed.
After just three outings in three years, Khan has turned his attention to arranging what he said a career-defining fight before the turn of the year, with the legendary eight-division champion as Khan’s preferred choice but the long-awaited Battle of Britain with Brook is also a distinct possibility.
Promoter Eddie Hearn, who looks after both Khan and Brook, has revealed that Pacquiao will require a flat fee in excess of £10m in order to make the trip from the Philippines, where he is a senator.
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.